Friday, May 6, 2011

Watch Your Diet, Get Results!

Diet is a major player, no doubt. I lost 15 lbs my first time through a program without modifying diet; I guessed I just knew better and was eating "pretty good." When I did start watching my diet, I lost 15 more, reaching my lowest body fat percentage ever. A close friend has struggled for the last year getting weight off while I thought she was eating too little. I just couldn't get her to run her numbers through the calculator. Finally she did. Now she's lost 8% body fat in the last month with ChaLEAN Extreme. I had to eat crow for constantly telling her she wasn't eating enough.

Each Beachbody program has a calorie calculator equation of some sort in the nutrition guide. I haven't used this almost ever. I always use the calculator under "Eat Smart" on Teambeachbody.com. 

Point 1: You have to run the numbers.

A common mistake I see when people run the numbers is mixing their workout into their daily activity level; they assume that if they are doing Insanity they must be at least "Moderately Active." This variable for the equation is for your daily activity level in the absence of your exercise routine. I am a student. I drive books and computers for a living. As much as it hurts my pride, I have to put "Sedentary" in that block or my numbers are wrong and I struggle to lose weight.

Point 2: Understand the equation and use it properly.

The advanced level is learning to listen to your body. If you are bonking less than half way through your workout, your body needs something it's not getting enough of. It could be calories, protein, water, rest, etc. If you have plenty of energy to make it through workouts and the fat isn't coming off, you are most likely eating too much or not working hard enough. Time to become a technician and start troubleshooting your system.

Point 3: Listen to your body. Become your own favorite lab rat.

To properly make number 3 work you are going to have to keep a journal. You will want to track workouts, calorie intake, rest, weight, body fat %, whatever it is you are looking to change and the factors that influence it. You will want to commit to a one or two month plan to get it where you want it. If a month into it you see it isn't working, change your plan, reset the clock, and keep moving forward!

Your coach can help you look at this notebook to find ways to improve. Without having the data on paper, everything is touchy-feely and subjective. If your coach has been around a while, they know where some good resources are to help you progress to your goals.

Most importantly, keep pushing play and always look for ways to improve.
Feel free to contact me for help!

Links:
Why You Got Fat
Journal It! Nutrition Edition
They Sabotage My Fitness!!
Shopping List Magic
Food Journaling Again

No comments:

Post a Comment