Monday, January 25, 2010

Insanity: Day 36-Max Interval Circuit

Maybe it was that I just did my fit test…

Switch jacks

73

Power jacks

85

Power knees

119

Power jumps

80

Globe jumps

13

Suicide jumps

29

Push-up jacks

47

Low plank oblique

45

% Increase from Day 1

24%


Maybe it was that I got too busy the last half of the rest week to do my Core Cardio and Balance…

Maybe the fact that I hiked five miles the day before…

Whatever it was, 20 ounces of water with a scoop of recovery drink is not enough to make it through Max Interval Circuit. I suggest 30 ounces plus.

This workout is the first in Phase 2 of Shawn T's Insanity. In this phase of the program Shawn T dials up the intensity and the duration for a full 60 minutes of intense cardio, core, and sometimes simply anaerobic splendor.

As seems to be the routine, Shawn warms you up with three sets of his Phase 2 warm-up interval that incorporates a few new moves… OK, there is one in here called a "Side to Side Floor Hop" that I have never seen but my back it reminding me of the morning after. After this ten minute warm-up, you get the prescribes stretch. Don't slack on this stretch, you're going to need it.

Next you get the second circuit of exercises. You will work through each of these three times; getting a 30 second break between each set (you are going to need this break!). The moves are a mixture of some old moves and a few new. If you aren't a fan of plank moves, this one will hurt you with a combination move from several Phase 1 moves that will have you wonder what part of your chest hurts more: the inside or the outside.

Third circuit: again a combination of new and old. This set is going to take your core and twist it in knots while making you jump up and down like your hair is on fire and your ass is catching. I don't remember the last time my obliques felt really worked the day after a workout, but they do today. This set reminds me of a combination of Kenpo X, Kenpo Cardio, Plyo X, and Core Synergistics… I only know what I know.

In the last set, I started to feel a little chest pain. Not the good chest pain that suggests you are doing too many push-ups… Not the good kind of chest pain that says you are breathing a lot… This was the kind of chest pain you got as a kid, before you knew what exercise was and your PE Teacher would make you run around the school. You didn't know how to pace yourself so you ran until it felt like the devil was piercing your side with a barbed spear, then you slowed down while your PE Teacher tried encouraging you but it really just made you feel like a weak failure. This chest pain hit me with 15 minutes left on the clock. Thankfully, it went away by the 14 minute mark, but you should be ready for it.

This last set (still talking about the third set) had a few new moves that I really like. Don't get me wrong, they hurt. If you aren't a fan of plank moves, call your mommy, get your favorite teddy bear and your blankie from your early years, you are going to want them while you curl up and suck your thumb wondering why you put in this DVD and pushed play. The only rest from the plank in this set is a Squat Hook; I think it's there for pity, but it also works the core and legs. I will also mention the Plank Punches and Side Suicide Jumps. These moves are outstanding.

Looks like it will be a new and painful week, so I will see you tomorrow!

Coach Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment